Jenna: We're on the final countdown of our days at the Bay of Many Coves Resort. A week from today we're leaving the resort at the top of the South Island and driving straight down to Te Anau at the bottom of the South Island to start the Milford Track on February 6th. It will take about three days to get down there, plus a little time for supply shopping, before we start the four-day, three-night hike that is supposed to be one of the best in the world. We're very excited (and I'm nervous!) but more about that later...
It's been a great experience working at the BOMC... we've been able to save a good chunk of change to fund the rest of our NZ adventures by not paying rent, not having the option to eat out, go to a bar, etc. and we've made friends with some great people from all over the world. It's had it's frustrations as well, mostly due to the communal living situation, but overall I believe it was the right place to pause and work a few months. I'll let Rob give his own reactions :)
Since the last post we've mostly been working. I've had a few fun adventures - went horse trekking with Ilse, Jono, and Sofia, who also work at the resort. I hadn't been on a horse in years, but it was a lot of fun and ended far too quickly. I also did a 15km hike last week from Torea Bay up the Queen Charlotte Track to the resort. On our last trip to town Rob and I went wine tasting at Forrest, Wither Hills, and Framingham Vineyards. Marlborough, the region we've been living in, is one of the best wine-growing regions in New Zealand. The area is known for Sauvignon Blancs and there is no shortage of local vineyards producing Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, and more. There are some great whites, but since Rob and I prefer reds we're really looking forward to visiting Central Otago further down the South Island where they produce mostly Pinot Noir.
View of Kenepuru Sound from the Queen Charlotte Track. This was my 15km walk day.
As you can see, it was a scorcher!
Horse trekking adventures in Kenepuru Sound. I'm on the brown horse in the back, accompanied by Ilse, Sofia, and Jono from BOMC.
Got Rob out in a kayak one last time.
Sting ray spotting trip in the tender - the small boat the resort uses to ferry people back and forth to bigger boats and hiking trails in the area.
Found one!
Lounging at the resort cafe on our last day off.








I'm nervous for your hike, too! I CAN'T WAIT for those pictures!
ReplyDeletemmmmm... Pinot Noir.... :)
Love you!