Rob: This week went fast. On Tuesday Jenna and I loaded up our backpacks and headed out on a hike. This time it was the Russian River Trail in Cooper Landing. Jenna batted her eyelashes at the guard and she gave us free parking: add 11 bones to the NZ pot. Along the hike Jenna found a huge patch of fireweed, the pink flowers. They're really pretty but don't taste very good. After a 2.5 mile hike we arrived at the base of some small water falls and watched a bunch of sockeye salmon try to jump up them. They were moving too fast for us get a picture so here are some pictures of them getting ready to jump, oh yeah! It was really amazing how many fish you could see and even more amazing how goofy they are trying to jump up these waterfalls. They do this for miles and miles to get back to the spot where they were born, a bunch of kooks I say.
Can't remember what happened Wednesday or Thursday but sometime during that period Jenna and my handsome self took a long, romantical canoe ride around the lake. Canoeing is not as easy as the Indians make it look. See how hard I'm working!
On Friday night we went on a date to the Alaska Baseball League's Oiler Park to watch the Anchorage Bucs take on the hometown team, the Peninsula Oilers. And, to add to the excitement, it was also free hot dog night. They had a large plaque of all the people who played for them and were called up to the majors; the only two names we recognized were Bobby Thigpen and JD Drew; I don't think anyone on the current team's going to make it that far.
Saturday Jenna, Jenna's mom Reean and I helped out at a disc golf tournament for Hospice's Camp Mend-A-Heart. It was fun and we're definitely going to have to head back to the course before we leave. On our way to dinner in Kenai that night we passed a moose hanging out on the road. You really have to see them up close to appreciate their size. Jenna's Uncle Frank treated us to dinner, we ate some Coldstone then headed home for a few rounds of the game of Sequence. Not a wild Saturday night as we knew we were headed to the Pitts' Caribou Hills cabin the next day. 

We left Soldotna about an hour later than planned, or as Jenna's dad Dan says, "We're off like a heard of turtles." The cabin is about 20 miles off of paved roads and required a final push through waste high weeds. We spent the day clearing weeds and fixing the some things inside. Jenna and I are going to stay a few nights out there next week and do some more work.
First and foremost, introductions are in order. Jenna, this is Matt Kiegel (Rob affectionately calls me Kiegel). I'm Rob's old college buddy/ex-coworker. I'm sure he's told you so much about me. Second, Rob, do not be alarmed but you have a small shrub growing from you face. Might want to get that checked out. Third, I'm vastly envious of you guys. It sounds like from what I've heard from Rob that you two have quite the awesome adventure lined up, just like those Bill and Ted dudes but with less time travel. As I am currently listed under the "unemployed with nothing to do" column, I hope to maybe get the opportunity to come visit the both of you in New Zealand at some point. Of course that hinges on several variables, one being if it's okay with you. But for now just know that I will be keeping tabs on this journey thru the 'ol interweb. Have a great time and be safe! Jenna, may God help you (spending that much time with Wohead).
ReplyDelete