Sunday, July 12, 2009

Farm Life 101

Jenna: On Wednesday Bill took us to visit a dairy farm. I got to bottle feed a few calves, then milk cows. For milking the cows are herded into a narrow hallway with their rear facing the middle of the room. You have to dip each teat in iodine to clean it, then attach a suction machine that pulls the milk out. No buckets here! Afterward the three of us went out to some of Bill's property and shot guns. I shot a .22, a .22 long rifle, a 223, a 9mm, and something else I'm forgetting. The numbers kind of run together for me. We neglected to bring any targets, so a rag hanging on a stick had to suffice. Then we met Geriann for dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

Thursday was more hanging out at the mill before going to visit a pig farm. We got to see and hold baby pigs just a few days old. It's amazing how small the babies are next to the enormous fullgrown pigs. Some weighed over 500 lbs. We went back to the house to pack up our things before dinner. Geriann and I made pasta salad and Rob threw some steaks on the grill. A few minutes later a car in the street started honking furiously. We looked outside to see the grill spurting flames. Rob ran out and opened the grill, turned off the gas, and saved the steaks. Luckily he didn't get any serious burns... just lost most of the hair on his left arm. It smelled terrible, but the steaks were still good! After dinner Rob and I drove down to Indianapolis to spend the night with his sister Julie.

Friday we got up and Rob, Julie, Isaac, and I headed to downtown Indy for some sightseeing. They live close to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400. Downtown we walked by the capitol, down the canal walk, and by the zoo and art museum. It was hot and humid and everyone was sweating buckets. Downtown is very pretty and clean - lots of art and sculptures. We stopped for a pizza lunch, then headed up to Broad Ripple which felt like the young and happenin part of town. Lots of cool shops and restaurants.

That night Rob and I met his friend Tony for a beer before making the drive back to Mentone. Not a fan of the late night driving! Now we're spending our last few hours in Indiana before hitting the road again. Tonight we'll visit Rob's grandparents in Illinois, Sunday night we'll be in Omaha, Monday and Tuesday in Denver, then Vegas probably on Wednesday. We just have to make it in time for our 6pm flight to Alaska on Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Cows and guns, ah, the midwest :-)...wonder if Reuben and I will have the same experience when we head to Indiana in October ;-)

    ReplyDelete